The announcement comes as President Trump prepares to host Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu at the White House

Washington: US President Donald Trump has announced that Israel has agreed to the terms of a 60-day ceasefire in Gaza, and has warned Hamas that the offer on the table is final -- and that rejecting it will lead to harsher consequences.
The announcement comes as President Trump prepares to host Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu at the White House on Monday, where they are expected to discuss the ceasefire plan, regional security, and growing tensions with Iran.
"My representatives had a long and productive meeting with the Israelis today on Gaza. Israel has agreed to the necessary conditions to finalise the 60-day CEASEFIRE, during which time we will work with all parties to end the war,” Trump said in a statement. He added that Qatar and Egypt will be responsible for delivering the final proposal to Hamas.
"I hope, for the good of the Middle East, that Hamas takes this deal, because it will not get better -- IT WILL ONLY GET WORSE," he said, signalling this as his administration’s best and final offer.
Ceasefire talks
Efforts to reach a ceasefire have stalled repeatedly over a key issue: whether any agreement should also mark the end of the war. Hamas has said it is prepared to release all hostages in exchange for a full withdrawal of Israeli forces and a permanent ceasefire. Israel has rejected that proposal, insisting it will only end the war if Hamas agrees to disarm, surrender, and go into exile -- terms the group continues to reject.
Roughly 50 hostages remain in Gaza, though fewer than half are believed to be alive, according to US and Israeli estimates.
Trump remains confident that a breakthrough is near. Speaking to reporters while visiting an immigration detention centre in Florida on Tuesday, he said, “He [Netanyahu] wants to [make a deal]. I think we’ll have a deal next week.”
Trump’s announcement followed high-level meetings in Washington, where Israeli Minister for Strategic Affairs Ron Dermer met with Vice President J.D. Vance, Secretary of State Marco Rubio, and special envoy Steve Witkoff to discuss the ceasefire terms, Iran, and other regional matters.
Meanwhile, the humanitarian crisis in Gaza continues to deepen. Israeli airstrikes killed at least 37 people in Khan Younis on Tuesday, according to Nasser Hospital officials. Many of those killed were sheltering in tents. “Tents, tents -- they are hitting with two missiles?” cried Um Seif Abu Leda, whose son was among the dead.
In a joint statement on Tuesday, more than 150 international humanitarian organisations -- including Oxfam, Amnesty International and Save the Children -- called for an end to a controversial Israeli and US-backed aid distribution system in Gaza, citing ongoing chaos and violence at food distribution sites. The appeal followed the killing of at least 10 Palestinians seeking food, according to eyewitnesses and health officials.
The Gaza Health Ministry has reported over 56,000 deaths since the start of the war, though it does not distinguish between civilians and fighters in its figures.
Despite heavy Israeli bombardments, Hamas continues to pose a threat to Israeli forces. However, US intelligence suggests the group's command structure has been severely weakened during the nearly 21-month-long conflict.
Iran -- Hamas’s chief backer --was also significantly impacted last month following 12 days of joint US-Israeli strikes targeting key nuclear sites across the country. The recent escalation has heightened fears of broader regional conflict.
Tensions escalated again on Tuesday after a missile believed to have been launched by Yemen’s Iran-aligned Houthi rebels was intercepted over Israel. It marked the first such attack since the brief war between Israel and Iran in June. Israeli Defence Minister Israel Katz warned that Yemen could suffer consequences similar to Tehran if attacks continue.
Houthi spokesman Nasruddin Amer posted on social media that Yemen would continue supporting Gaza “unless the aggression stops and the siege on Gaza is lifted.”
Published: 02 Jul 2025, 06:38 am IST
Related Topics
Get Latest Mathrubhumi Updates in English
Disclaimer: Kindly avoid objectionable, derogatory, unlawful and lewd comments, while responding to reports. Such comments are punishable under cyber laws. Please keep away from personal attacks. The opinions expressed here are the personal opinions of readers and not that of Mathrubhumi.

