The National Testing Agency has removed 50 staff members as it faces renewed scrutiny over errors in three UGC-NET 2026 papers, while the government has announced a wider overhaul of the agency’s examination and security systems.

UGC-NET re-tests for three papers have put the NTA under fresh scrutiny. The government is now pushing a wider overhaul covering staff, cybersecurity, question-paper security and examination processes.

What happened with UGC-NET?

The NTA has ordered fresh examinations for the English, Commerce and Sociology papers after a committee identified multiple errors and anomalies.

The English and Commerce re-tests are scheduled for September 9, while the Sociology paper will be conducted again on September 10.

The decision has triggered protests from student groups and opposition parties, with critics arguing that candidates should not have to bear the consequences of errors made by the examination agency.

The NTA, however, has said the re-tests were ordered to protect candidates' interests after complaints about the three papers were examined.

NTA removes 50 staff members

The government initially said that more than 50 NTA staff members had been removed following the latest developments.

An official later clarified that the figure includes 47 officials who had already been removed in July in connection with the NEET-UG paper leak controversy.

The NTA has therefore not removed 50 additional employees in response to the UGC-NET errors. Rather, the reported figure combines earlier removals with the latest action.

This distinction is important because the government's announcement could otherwise be interpreted as 50 fresh dismissals linked specifically to UGC-NET.

Government plans wider NTA overhaul

Education Minister Pralhad Joshi held a meeting with the Higher Education secretary, NTA director general and other senior officials following the latest examination problems.

The government said the meeting focused on strengthening examination processes and implementing wider reforms.

The NTA has been instructed to conduct a comprehensive audit of its examination procedures and report on corrective measures.

The government is also seeking to strengthen the agency's specialist capabilities.

Ten professional leadership positions have been advertised, including posts related to:

  • Chief technology officer

  • Chief finance officer

  • Chief information security officer

  • General manager for test security

  • General manager for research and development and psychometrics

The government also plans to bring in specialists from the private sector for areas including cybersecurity, psychometrics and question-paper design.

Exam security architecture to be overhauled

The government has called for a complete review of the NTA's confidential examination operations.

The proposed overhaul includes scrutiny of:

  • Confidential examination facilities

  • Secluded rooms

  • Air-gapped computer systems

  • Device-deposit protocols

  • Cybersecurity arrangements

  • Question-paper handling

  • Examination processes

The aim is to reduce the possibility of errors, leaks and other vulnerabilities across the examination cycle.

Why are UGC-NET students protesting?

The re-tests mean candidates who had already appeared for the affected papers will have to sit for another examination.

Student organisations including NSUI, SFI, AISA and KYS have protested against the decision and announced further demonstrations.

Their central concern is that students are being forced to spend additional time and money because of errors in the examination system.

The protests also reflect wider frustration over repeated problems surrounding major national-level examinations.

What did the opposition say?

Congress leader Rahul Gandhi criticised the examination system and demanded greater accountability from the NTA's leadership.

He argued that the resignation of former Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan following the NEET-UG controversy was not sufficient and that the agency's leadership also needed to be held accountable.

Other opposition leaders accused the government and NTA of shifting the burden of examination failures onto students.

The Aam Aadmi Party described the latest issue as a systemic failure rather than a minor examination error, arguing that students were losing time, money and opportunities.

Even ABVP has raised concerns

The criticism has not been limited to opposition-linked student organisations.

The ABVP also expressed concern over the latest developments.

Its national general secretary Virendra Singh Solanki said students' futures could not be compromised and called for accountability from the NTA.

The response highlights the breadth of concern over examination reliability, extending beyond the political opposition.

Why were the three UGC-NET papers cancelled?

The NTA said it received several complaints about multiple errors in the English, Commerce and Sociology papers.

A committee was established to examine the complaints.

After reviewing the issues, the committee concluded that the three papers contained anomalies significant enough to affect the standards expected of a fair and error-free examination.

It therefore recommended conducting the papers again.

The NTA accepted the recommendation and announced the re-tests.

UGC-NET 2026: what students need to know

The NTA conducted the UGC-NET June 2026 examination from June 22 to June 30.

The examination covered 87 subjects.

UGC-NET determines eligibility for:

  • Junior research fellowships

  • Assistant professorships

  • PhD admissions

Because the examination affects academic careers and research opportunities, errors can have consequences well beyond a single test date.

What is different about the current NTA reform?

The latest response goes beyond simply correcting the three affected question papers.

The government is seeking structural changes in the agency, particularly in areas involving technology, cybersecurity, test security and psychometrics.

The creation of specialist leadership positions suggests an attempt to make examination security a dedicated institutional function rather than treating it solely as an operational responsibility.

The proposed audit could also identify vulnerabilities across the entire examination chain, from question-paper creation and storage to transportation, computer systems and candidate verification.

From NEET controversy to UGC-NET errors

The latest UGC-NET controversy comes after a turbulent period for the NTA.

The agency faced intense scrutiny following allegations surrounding the 2024 NEET-UG examination, including the paper-leak controversy and questions over examination integrity.

The controversy eventually led to significant political pressure and the resignation of then Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan.

The government subsequently began examining ways to strengthen the country's national examination framework.

The latest UGC-NET problems have therefore revived questions about whether those reforms have gone far enough.

Why the NTA's response matters

There are two separate issues in the latest controversy.

The first is whether the NTA acted correctly by identifying errors and ordering re-tests rather than allowing potentially defective papers to determine candidates' results.

The second is why such errors occurred in the first place.

A re-test can correct the immediate problem for affected candidates, but it does not resolve questions about quality control, question-paper preparation, review mechanisms and institutional accountability.

That is why the government's decision to order a wider examination audit and recruit specialist professionals is significant.

What happens next?

The immediate focus will be on the September re-tests for the three affected subjects.

The NTA will also have to complete its audit and demonstrate what changes have been made to prevent similar problems.

For students, the key issue will be whether the revised examination process delivers a reliable and fair assessment without further disruptions.

For the government, the larger challenge is rebuilding confidence in an agency responsible for some of India's most important competitive and eligibility examinations.

Is this just another NTA controversy?

The latest UGC-NET issue is significant because it shifts the debate from allegations of question-paper leaks to the broader question of examination quality and institutional reliability.

The NTA's decision to cancel and re-conduct the three papers indicates that the agency was unwilling to allow papers it considered defective to determine candidates' academic futures. That is a corrective measure, but it also raises questions about why the errors were not detected before the examination.

The government's response is consequently broader than a re-test. It is targeting the agency's internal expertise, cybersecurity, confidential operations and examination architecture.

The removal of staff also needs to be understood in context. The reported figure of 50 includes 47 removals linked to the earlier NEET controversy, rather than representing 50 new dismissals following the UGC-NET errors.

The central issue now is whether these administrative changes translate into measurable improvements in examination reliability.

For students, that is ultimately more important than the number of officials removed. The credibility of the NTA will depend on whether candidates can trust that question papers are properly prepared, secured, reviewed and administered before they sit for an examination that can influence their careers.