Argentina's Facundo Diaz Acosta will replace Rune in the main draw when the tournament begins on August 30 in New York.

New York: Former world number four Holger Rune, sidelined since October by an Achilles tendon injury, has withdrawn from the US Open, organisers said Friday.
The 23-year-old Dane has not played competitive tennis since sustaining the injury during the semi-finals in Stockholm last year.
There had been indications that he was nearing a return when photos surfaced on social media this week showing him playing practice sets in Spain alongside Carlos Alcaraz.
Seven-time Grand Slam champion Alcaraz has been sidelined himself since April due to a wrist injury, but posted on social media Thursday that he was "back" — just in time for his title defence at the final Grand Slam of the year, which begins in New York on August 30.
Rune said in a post on X, captioning a photograph alongside Alcaraz and others, that he was closing in on a comeback.
"Really happy for my improvements and level," he wrote. "And we keep working.
"My team and I have decided not to have a Grand Slam as my first tournament coming back. US Open see you next year.
"Can't wait to see you all VERY soon."
US Open organisers confirmed that Rune's position in the main draw will be taken by Argentina's Facundo Diaz Acosta.
AFP
Published: 22 Aug 2026, 07:49 am IST
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Related Topics
Get Latest Mathrubhumi Updates in English
Disclaimer: Kindly avoid objectionable, derogatory, unlawful and lewd comments, while responding to reports. Such comments are punishable under cyber laws. Please keep away from personal attacks. The opinions expressed here are the personal opinions of readers and not that of Mathrubhumi.

