Screengrab: Mathrubhumi News
Kozhikode: Police have booked two identifiable persons on Thursday, in an important development to the case lodged over sexual assault on two Malayalam actors at a Kozhikode mall.
The move is based on the statement given by the actresses and the visual evidence collected from the area. Police had retrieved CCTV visuals and examined it. Those individuals, who are seen near the actors in the visuals, were summoned and quizzed. It is learnt that quizzing did not yield any hints.
More visuals need to be examined to confirm whether the crime was done by a single individual or two.
Meanwhile, the National Commission for Women (NCW) took suo moto cognizance over the incident. NCW chief has written to Kerala DGP to complete the probe in a time-bound manner.
The incident that happened on September 27 came to light after one of them revealed the bad experience through her Instagram post.
Expressing her anguish and concern over the "sexual frustration" of the people, the post said another actor also had a similar experience during the event held late on Tuesday night at the busy mall.
A purported video of the incident went viral on social media platforms soon and the local TV channels aired the same.
"Kozhikode is a place I loved a lot. But, tonight while returning after a programme, a person from the crowd grabbed me. It disgusts me to say where! Are people around us so frustrated? We had been to several places as part of the promotion. But, I never had such a pathetic experience anywhere else. My colleague also had a similar experience. She reacted...but I couldn't in that situation as I was dumbstruck for a moment...," the actor said in last night's post.
The other actor, who had been subjected to misbehaviour from the crowd, also shared the harrowing experience through her Instagram page.
She said the mall was overcrowded and security personnel were struggling to manage the rush. A person had misbehaved with one of her co-stars but she could not react, the actor said.