TVM boy dies after drinking acid laden soft drink; Police struggles to crack case


TVM boy dies after consuming acid laden soft drinks; Police struggles to crack case

Neyyattinkara: The death of an 11-year-old boy in Thiruvananthapuram after drinking acid-laden soft drinks on Monday has continued to remain shrouded in mystery.

Ashwin, a sixth-standard student of a private school in Kaliyikkavila died while undergoing treatment after drinking a bottle of adultered soft drink alleged to be given to him by a fellow schoolmate. In a test conducted in the hospital, it was revealed that the child consumed acid by mistaking it for a soft drink. He suffered severe burns to internal organs, which affected his kidney functioning. He was undergoing treatment here since September 27.



Before his death, Ashwin told police that a senior boy in his school gave him a bottle saying that it contained 'Cola'. However, he was unable to identify the student.

Kaliyakkavilai police, who initially probed the case, struggled to find a breakthrough after relatives and school authorities contradicted their version of how the child received the soft drink. Police failed to find the source from where he received the adultered soft drink.

Relatives told police that the soft drink was given to him at school by a student wearing the uniform.

However, the school denied these allegations and claimed that the child consumed the soft drinks after leaving school. Due to these contradictory statements, the local police failed to make any progress in the case. Later, the decision was taken to hand over the case to the Crime Branch unit.

Ashwin's family said they would not receive the body from the hospital until police nab the person behind the crime. They also demanded action against the school management.

Add Comment
Related Topics

Get daily updates from Mathrubhumi.com

Youtube
Telegram
Disclaimer: Kindly avoid objectionable, derogatory, unlawful and lewd comments, while responding to reports. Such comments are punishable under cyber laws. Please keep away from personal attacks. The opinions expressed here are the personal opinions of readers and not that of Mathrubhumi.