Toddler choked to death as gooseberry gets stuck in throat


Representative image | Photo: Getty Images

Thrissur: A one-year-old boy choked to death after gooseberry got stuck in his throat here on Thursday. The deceased is identified as Namas, son of Mulamkunnathukkavu native Kiran and Manju.

The gooseberry got stuck in the child’s throat when he was having food around 5.30 pm on Wednesday. It is learnt that the toddler consumed it without telling to his mother. As the mother was unaware of the gooseberry in his mouth, she continued to feed him. The gooseberry got stuck in the child’s throat along with the food and interrupted breathing.

Though the family members tried to clear the gooseberry from the boy’s throat, they failed in the attempt. Later, the boy was rushed to Govt. Medical college.

Even after removing the gooseberry, the child breathed his last around 11.30 am.

Pediatric surgery associate professor Dr Bijohn Johnson confirmed that the child died of suffocation as the gooseberry got stuck in his throat.

“His condition was critical when the family took him to the medical college,” he added.

The doctor informed that administering proper first aid will save kids in such situations.


Add Comment
Related Topics

Get daily updates from Mathrubhumi.com

Youtube
Telegram
Disclaimer: Kindly avoid objectionable, derogatory, unlawful and lewd comments, while responding to reports. Such comments are punishable under cyber laws. Please keep away from personal attacks. The opinions expressed here are the personal opinions of readers and not that of Mathrubhumi.