Fire broke out at drug storage facility in Kollam | Photo: Sudheer Mohan/ Mathrubhumi
Kollam: A massive fire broke out at a medicine storage facility at Uliyakovil in Kollam on Wednesday at around 8.45 pm. The district warehouse of Kerala Medical Service Corporation was completely gutted in the fire.
The fire and safety officials were unable to enter the building and control the flames due to their rapid spread, which consumed the entire facility. The presence of highly flammable materials, such as sanitizers, exacerbated the situation, making the fire extremely difficult to contain.
The roofing sheets cracked with huge sound and scattered all around. Other minor explosions were also heard.
Several residents of Mahatma Gandhi colony were taken sick after inhaling the smoke from the drug storage facility.
Initially the fire spread in an area where bleaching powder was stored. Though the fire units from Kadappakada and Chamakkada arrived at the spot, they could not extinguish the fire. Soon the entire fire fighting units from the district rushed to the scene. Following the request of the district administration, fire and safety units of KMML and Thiruvananthapuram airport also reached and joined in the mission.
The officials reported that the fire in the facility has been put under control as of now.