‘We know nothing about it’: Kerala CM on KMRL’s proposed Kochi Metro name change

Kochi: Kerala Chief Minister V D Satheesan on Friday said the state government had neither approved nor been consulted about the proposal to rename Kochi Metro Rail Limited (KMRL) as Kerala Metro Rail Limited.
Speaking to reporters in his constituency of North Paravur, Satheesan said KMRL had announced the proposal in a release on Thursday without consulting the state government.
"We know nothing about it. Those are things said unilaterally without consulting the government. No such discussion has taken place with the government so far. It is not under the government's consideration either," he said.
Satheesan said he came to know about the proposed name change only through newspaper reports on Friday morning.
"No such proposal is under the government's consideration. That topic doesn't exist. I am learning about it this morning after seeing the newspaper report. That is not how it should be known," he said.
His remarks came a day after KMRL announced that it was considering changing its name. Ernakulam MP Hibi Eden subsequently wrote to the Chief Minister opposing the proposal.
"If they think about it on their own without the government knowing, what can we do? There is no need for us to react to that," Satheesan said.
Onam celebrations amid financial crisis
Speaking about the upcoming Onam celebrations, Satheesan said the state had been affected by grief following natural disasters, including landslides and floods triggered by heavy monsoon rain earlier this month.
He said people were nevertheless coming together to celebrate the festival while setting aside their hardships.
"The government is also alongside them with great care. Even while going through such a massive financial crisis, the government is making maximum efforts to stand with the people without letting Onam lose its spirit," he said.
The Chief Minister also said welfare pensions would be distributed ahead of Onam.
On Argentina-Messi match controversy
Asked about the Sports Department's report on alleged irregularities surrounding the previous government's move to host a football match featuring Argentina and Lionel Messi, Satheesan said the matter was currently under his consideration.
He said a decision would be taken soon.
On ED probe involving Veena T
On the Enforcement Directorate's investigation into alleged payments received by Veena T, daughter of former Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan, from CMRL without corresponding services being provided by her company, Satheesan said those involved should respond to the allegations.
He said it would be inappropriate for him to comment on the matter while the investigation by a central agency was ongoing.
"It would be improper for me, as the chief minister, to step in during an ongoing investigation and make a comment about it. Besides, people are watching all of this. People recognise the difference between what they say and what they do. Let them know that," he said.
Satheesan reiterated that he would not comment further while the investigation was under way.