Max Verstappen stays with Red Bull until 2030 but the announcement has a clever twist | WATCH

Max Verstappen will remain with Red Bull until 2030, ending speculation that the four-time Formula 1 world champion could make a blockbuster move to a rival team.
But Red Bull's announcement came with a clever little twist.
In a social media reel announcing Verstappen's contract extension, team principal Laurent Mekies is shown typing “Max resigns” on his computer. However, he appears unsure, as though something about the wording does not quite feel right.
The scene then shifts to Verstappen, with Mekies asking him how it sounds.
Verstappen spots the problem and points out that “there needs to be a hyphen.”
The wording changes from “Max resigns” to “Max re-signs” — completely changing the meaning of the announcement and revealing that Verstappen is staying with Red Bull.
The playful reveal arrives just ahead of Verstappen's home Dutch Grand Prix this weekend, adding an element of humour to what had been one of the biggest questions surrounding his F1 future.
Verstappen ends speculation with Red Bull extension
The 28-year-old's new deal keeps him at Red Bull until 2030, despite the team's struggles to match the pace of Mercedes this season.
Verstappen is yet to win a race in 2026. The 71-time race winner has not experienced a winless F1 season since his rookie campaign in 2015.
ALSO READ: Oscar Piastri shuts down Verstappen rumours: ‘I am staying at McLaren’
“I have always said it: the team is like a second family for me and I feel very at home,” Verstappen said in a statement.
He added that continuing his journey with the same team he has been with throughout his career was “really special”, after they shared four world championship victories.
Why Verstappen's future had become a major talking point
Verstappen's previous contract was due to run until 2028, but performance-related clauses reportedly gave him a potential route to leave earlier.
That fuelled speculation that he could switch teams, with McLaren among those linked with the Dutchman following reports of a June meeting between his representatives and McLaren management.
ALSO READ: 'Mentally not doable': Max Verstappen drops retirement bombshell after Canada F1 Qualifying
McLaren chief executive Zak Brown, however, said the team did not have an opening for Verstappen and would continue with Lando Norris and Oscar Piastri.
Verstappen had also questioned whether he would remain in Formula 1 at all, saying he wanted more time with his family. His frustration had grown over the 2026 cars and their reliance on electrical battery power.
Verstappen chooses Red Bull despite difficult season
Red Bull has supported Verstappen since his childhood and brought him into Formula 1 at just 17 in 2015 with its second team, then known as Toro Rosso.
That debut made him the youngest driver in F1 history, a record he still holds.
His long association with Red Bull has survived major changes within the team. Longtime leader Christian Horner left last year, while renowned car designer Adrian Newey was also among the key departures.
Verstappen praised the direction of the team under Laurent Mekies, who took charge after Horner's departure. He described the year with Mekies as “great” and said he sensed a “clear vision” for Red Bull's future.
The Dutchman has also raised safety concerns this season after two separate rear-wing faults on his Red Bull resulted in high-speed crashes.
Carlos Sainz also off the Red Bull list
Carlos Sainz Jr. had been considered one potential replacement for Verstappen if the Dutchman decided to leave.
But Sainz signed a new contract with Williams on Wednesday, just a day before Verstappen confirmed his own long-term commitment to Red Bull.