Prince Harry, 6 celebrities hit with $13 million legal bill after court defeat

Prince Harry and six other high-profile figures have suffered a massive blow in their high-stakes legal war against the British press. Friday, a UK court ordered them to pay a staggering initial payment of £9.5 million ($13 million) to the publisher of the Daily Mail, Associated Newspapers Limited (ANL).
The group includes world-famous singer Elton John, his film producer husband David Furnish, popular actors Liz Hurley and Sadie Frost, politician Simon Hughes, and Doreen Lawrence, the anti-racism activist whose son Stephen was stabbed to death in 1993 as he waited for a bus. Together, they had accused the tabloid of shocking privacy violations. They claimed the newspaper bugged their homes and cars, recorded private phone calls, and even accessed bank and medical files.
The publisher strongly denied these claims. Now, the court has ruled that the celebrities must pay this initial amount by August 28. A published summary confirmed that "The Court ordered the claimants make an interim payment of £9,544,355" by 4:00 pm on that date.
A heavy bill for a royal battle
This costly defeat comes after an emotional 11-week trial that ended on July 7, when Justice Matthew Nicklin concluded the "claimants failed to prove their pleaded allegations". Today, the judge dealt another blow by ordering them to pay the publisher's legal expenses on a stricter, harsher scale.
The tabloid's total bill for defending itself reached a massive £34.5 million. The court admitted this sum was "exceptionally high" and "unprecedented". Justice Nicklin himself noted that ANL's claim for £34.5 million appeared "excessive and... giving rise to real concerns as to whether all of the costs now claimed by Associated were reasonably incurred". Yet, he refused to cap the liability. He explained that a cap would be "too broad brushed, would risk unfairness, and would be vulnerable to the charge that it was arbitrary."
For now, the final bill is not set in stone. The judge clarified that "The issue before the court was the basis on which costs should be assessed, not the amount recoverable". He added: "If the amount is not agreed, that question will be determined separately by a costs judge."
The claimants are insured for around half of the total costs, and Doreen Lawrence’s share of the bills is expected to be covered by the others.
Harsh words from the bench
The judge did not mince his words when describing the celebrities' legal strategy. He observed that several claims were speculative and criticized their failure to withdraw allegations they could not support. In his written statement, Nicklin wrote: "The conduct was unreasonable to a high degree".
The publisher welcomed the decision, calling it a "devastating critique of an attempt to destroy a newspaper and the reputations of its journalists, editors and executives." ANL went further to target the lawyers involved, stating: "The truth is that these outrageous claims should never have been brought". They added, "That they were pursued raises disturbing questions about the conduct of elements of the legal profession."
The losing side was left reeling. Politician Simon Hughes said he was "disappointed and surprised" that the court did not limit the publisher's recoverable costs. Meanwhile, Prince Harry and campaigner Doreen Lawrence had already expressed their anger after the July ruling, calling it "a complete and obvious whitewash".
Fighting on many fronts
For Prince Harry, this is more than just a lost court case. It is a deeply personal crusade. His anger towards the media runs deep, and he blames paparazzi for the tragic 1997 death of his mother, Princess Diana. He says the relentless media intrusion made him "paranoid beyond belief".
This legal war has cost him dearly, causing a severe rift with his father, King Charles III, and his brother, Prince William. He has broken royal traditions to take these tabloids to court. He previously won a major victory against the Daily Mirror, which was condemned for "widespread and habitual" phone hacking. But this latest defeat halts his winning streak.
The group now has until October 2 to request permission to appeal. This legal shockwave arrives just two days after news broke that Harry and his wife, Meghan Markle, are moving back to the UK from California. They will relocate later this month to live in a non-royal home. For Harry, the battle is far from over, but the financial price of his privacy war is becoming incredibly heavy.