Not the first time: Israeli forces fire on Gaza aid crowd, 22 killed, say medics

Gaza: Israeli forces reportedly opened fire on Palestinians returning from humanitarian food aid sites in southern and northern Gaza on Monday, killing at least 22 people and injuring 20 more, according to witnesses, medics, and the Health Ministry in the enclave.
Nasser Hospital in Khan Younis received the bodies of 11 individuals who had been shot after collecting supplies from the Gaza Humanitarian Fund (GHF) distribution site—part of an aid initiative supported by Israel and the United States. Another 10 people were killed in a strike on a United Nations aid warehouse in Gaza City. A further fatality was reported near Rafah, bringing the day’s toll to 22 dead.
The incident in Khan Younis reportedly occurred roughly 3 kilometres from the GHF hub, on one of the few routes available to civilians seeking relief supplies. Eyewitnesses described scenes of panic and confusion as Israeli troops arrived in vehicles and tanks, initially firing warning shots before opening live fire on the crowd.
“They fired at us indiscriminately,” said Yousef Mahmoud Mokheimar, who was shot in the leg. He added that a man attempting to help him was also shot, and that six others—three of them children—were detained by the soldiers.
Another witness, Monzer Hisham Ismail, claimed the attack came as civilians were returning from the “American aid hub” in eastern Khan Younis.
The Israeli military has said it is reviewing reports of the attacks, maintaining that troops only fire when individuals behave suspiciously or approach soldiers in sensitive zones. In recent weeks, it has taken measures to improve security and logistics around GHF sites, including the construction of fencing and additional aid access routes.
However, over 500 Palestinians have reportedly died while trying to access aid since the controversial GHF programme began last month.
The strike in Gaza City added to the growing humanitarian catastrophe. While it remains unclear if aid was present at the targeted warehouse, the bombardment came amid intensified Israeli operations across the city and nearby Jabaliya. The military had issued new evacuation orders over the weekend, prompting residents to flee amid a relentless aerial campaign.
“They destroy whatever is left standing… the sound of bombing hasn’t stopped,” said Mohamed Mahdy, a resident of Gaza City who was forced to abandon his damaged home.
Health officials said large areas of northern Gaza are now inaccessible, and ambulances cannot reach those trapped under rubble. According to Fares Awad, the Health Ministry’s emergency services chief, the blockade of access routes is preventing emergency responses across Gaza City and Jabaliya.
The Israeli military maintains that it is targeting Hamas command centres and accuses the militant group of using civilian areas as cover. Meanwhile, it has been pushing for the GHF model to replace UN-led distribution efforts, arguing that Hamas diverts humanitarian supplies for its own use—an accusation the UN denies.
This latest violence highlights the perils of aid delivery in war zones and deepens the crisis facing over two million people in Gaza, many of whom are on the brink of famine after nearly nine months of conflict.
(With AFP inputs)