Over 100 people were killed and 350 injured when a major fire broke out in the Puttingal Devi Temple complex at nearby Paravoor early today when sparks emanating from a fireworks display ignited a store room filled with crackers and pyrotechnic material.


  • Putin condoles loss of lives in Kerala temple tragedy
  • Central team to probe Kollam tragedy
  • Modi visits temple tragedy site; describes mishap as "unimaginable"
  • Rahul Gandhi visits tragedy site
  • President condoles loss of lives
  • Union Health Minister J.P. Nadda to camp in Kollam
  • Navy, IAF deploy ships, helicopters to help in rescue ops
  • CG sends ship, chopper along with medical team to Kollam
  • Temple fire: One booked for violating licence norms
  • No permission granted for fireworks display: District collector
  • Amit Shah cancels public programmes, visits mishap victims
  • Deadliest fireworks accident in Kerala’s history
  • Judicial probe ordered: Chennithala
  • PM announces compensation of Rs 2 lakh to next of kin
  • Police book case against contractors
  • Numerous homes within half a kilometre radius of the accident site have been damaged.
  • All leading political parties have as a mark of respect cancelled all their election programmes

Thousands of people had gathered at the temple precincts to witness the fireworks display which were on since midnight when the fire broke out.

The mishap occurred as sparks fell on the storeroom 'Kambapura' and exploded with a deafening noise at around 3.30 AM, police said.

The sound of the explosion could be heard over a km radius and the whole area plunged into darkness as the power supply went off and people ran helter skelter, eyewitnesses said.

Chief Minister Oommen Chandy said he has been informed by the state health minister that the death toll has gone beyond 90.

Chandy said he has asked the Prime Minister to provide two helicopters at Kollam to ferry the seriously injured. "The condition of some of the injured is stated to very serious and the injured have been admitted to various hospitals in and around Kollam and in Thiruvananthapuram," he said.

The Chief Minister said that the district collector of Kollam had not given permission to conduct the fireworks.

Police sources said a case has been registered against temple authorities and explosive licencees under section 307 (Attempt to murder), and 308 (Attempt to commit culpable homicide) of IPC and under section 4 of Explosives Substances Act.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced Rs two lakh each as compensation for the next of the kin of the dead in the mishap and Rs 50,000 each for the injured in the tragedy.

The Prime Minister, who is rushing to Kerala to take stock of the situation, termed the incident as "heart-rending" and "shocking".

"Fire at temple in Kollam is heart-rending & shocking beyond words. My thoughts are with families of the deceased & prayers with the injured," he said in a tweet.

The Prime Minister has also asked Health Minister J P Nadda to reach the site of the mishap.  Home Minister Ramesh Chennithala, who visited the spot, said 40 bodies have been identified. A special cabinet meeting will be held at Kollam at 3 PM today to take stock of the situation, he said, adding the priority is to provide help to the injured at the earliest.


Fifty of the injured have been rushed to Trivandrum Medical College in the state capital and five persons died after being brought there.

Nearly 200 people got injured in the mishap and have been admitted to various hospitals in the district and nearby Thiruvananthapuram, police said.

State Health Minister V S Sivakumar said directives have been issued to hospital authorities to make necessary arrangements for the injured.

State Home Minister Ramesh Chennithala said Director General of Police (DGP) Senkumar is monitoring the rescue operations.

"A comprehensive probe will be conducted into the incident. Adequate compensation would be given to the victims of the accident after consulting with the Election Commission," Chennithala said.


Local media reports quoting Kollam district authorities say the temple authorities ignored warnings issued against holding a huge firework in the area vulnerable to such accident.

District Collector Shinamol, who visited the spot, said evacuation and rescue operations were going on full-swing. People trapped in the concrete structure, which was completely destroyed in the mishap, were taken out, police said.

Eye witnesses told television channels that the accident took place at 3.30 am.

The sound of the explosion in the store-room was heard in around two-km radius of the temple, they said. PTI