Student infected with Nipah virus from guava fruit, report experts
Kochi: In the second of wave of Nipah outbreak in Kerala, the central team of experts assume that the college student got Nipah infection after eating guava bitten by bat. In a report submitted to the district collector, the experts reported that the student was diagnosed with Nipah two weeks after he consumed rotten guava.
The central team of experts visited the Nipah affected student as part of tracing the source of the virus. While interacting with the team, the student stated that he fell ill two weeks after consuming a rotten guava.
Hence, it is concluded that the virus spread from the rotten guava. At the same time the experts claimed that it is only a primary assumption.
They asserted that it is not sure whether the fruit was bitten by bat or not.
Fruit eating bats are the natural carriers of the Nipah virus. According to experts, the virus is transmitted from the fluids of the bats.