Medical error happens to pets too; Dalmatian suffers kidney failure
Kozhikode: Due to wrong medication, a four-and-a-half-year-old Dalmatian suffered a kidney damage. The special breed dog is fighting for its life now after the wrong medication was given from the medical shop.
When the pet had an abscess on his ears a few days back, his owner Pradeep, a native of Chengottukavu, took him to a veterinary hospital in the locality. After conducting a minor surgery, the dog was prescribed melonex tablet without mentioning the dosage. With the doctor’s prescription, when the owner approached a pharmacy shop for the medicine, they gave melonex bolus instead of the prescribed medicine. That wasn’t the end of it, the pharmacists scribbled the dosage too over the packet; 102 ml per day as directed by the physician.
Melonex bolus is a medicine used for cattle. However, with the wrong instruction, the powerful medicine was given to the dog in 102 ml quantity. The original melonex tablet quantity, given to dogs is only 2.5 ml. The wrong medicine given to the dog was 50 times more than the original quantity. The worst part was the medicine was administered for three consecutive days. This damaged the kidneys.
After the medicine was given on the first day and in the coming days, the dog started vomiting food. When inquired, the vet who conducted the surgery, said the dosage of the medicine is correct. On the third day, the dog vomited food and blood. Following that with the help of a friend, they found the medicine given to the dog was wrong. It was then taken to a veterinary hospital in Kozhikode.
When Pradeep explained the dreadful condition of his pet, he couldn’t control his grief. When he questioned the responsible persons for this, the response was, ‘this is only a dog.’ But Pradeep’s question is though it is a dog, it has a life. His dog's kidneys are damaged due to their carelessness. How would it be, if it had happened to a man, asked Pradeep?
The only solution before Pradeep is to do dialysis. But the dialysis for dog is available only in Kochi. Upon the instruction of a vet, travelling to Kochi with the ill dog may put its life in danger. Now blood transfusion was done from another dog which was also under Pradeep’s custody to keep the Dalmatian normal.
Melonex bolus up to 6 ml does no harm to dogs. Instead, the given quantity of medicine was 102 ml. This has caused the complete damage of kidney, said Dr Vinod Kumar who is treating the dog now.