Man covers 11 km on bike with venomous snake inside helmet
Thripunithura: In a shocking incident, KA Ranjith, a school teacher, took a ride on his bike without knowing that a venomous snake was hiding inside his helmet. He covered 11 kilometres on his bike with the snake inside his helmet. Fortunately, he had a narrow escape from being bitten by the snake.
When Ranjith removed the helmet, he found the snake dead, crushed inside the helmet for a long time.
Ranjith, a native of Kakkad, is working as Sanskrit teacher at Kandanad St.Mary’s High School. It is reported that Common Krait, locally called as ‘Valavalappan’ or ‘Vellikettan’, a highly poisonous snake was inside the helmet.
Ranjith who left home around 8.30 on Wednesday morning on his bike took the ride to the school at Kandanad by wearing the helmet. The school is situated 5 km distance from his residence. From Kandanad school, he left for Thripunithura RLV school which is 6 km from Kandanad school. Between the two rides, he never noticed the snake inside the helmet.
The teacher found the snake’s tail inside the helmet when he took the bike around 11.30 am. Ranjith and his colleagues were scared after finding the dead snake.
Later, Ranjith was taken to the nearest Taluk hospital. A detail check-up including blood test was carried out. It was confirmed that he did not suffer a snakebite or other injury.
“I think the snake might have got into the helmet from the pond near my house. The snake was inside my helmet for a long time, but I never felt anything unusual while wearing it,” said Ranjith.
Ranjith discarded the helmet and set it on fire.