Lone tusker dies of electric shock on house compound
Kothamangalam: A lone wild tusker that was wreaking havoc in the inhabited area died in a pathetic way the other day. The 10-year-old elephant died after getting electric shock from a power line on the compound of Kuttampuzha native Laikin’s house. The carcass of the elephant was found in a sitting posture.
The mishap occurred after a coconut tree uprooted by the jumbo fell on the power line and it touched the tusker’s body. Though the householders heard the noise of elephant wreaking havoc on the compound, they did not dare to come out.
When they checked in the morning, the elephant was found dead between the fallen tree and broken power line. The electric wire was trapped in the elephant’s trunk and tusks. Portions near its mouth was burnt in the mishap.
Later, forest guards and locals managed to take the carcass away in a lorry by 5.30 pm. It will be cremated after post-mortem on Thursday. The elephant’s tusks which are more than one feet long will be stored in the range office.