Kozhikode: Three teenage girls of a well-known aided school here in the city fell unconscious after consuming liquor during lunch break. The trio were later admitted to the Government General Hospital at Kozhikode Beach where they sought treatment under the pretext of food poisoning. The incident took place on Tuesday.
Police said, a class 10 girl student in the school stole a bottle of liquor from her house which her parent had bought. She sneaked the liquor into the school and consumed it during lunch break. She also gave the liquor to two other girl students who were her friends.
After some time, two of the three girls started feeling dizzy and ran to the toilet. Soon they collapsed inside the toilet. The other girl informed the teachers who took the girls to the hospital. The doctors kept the girls under observation until evening following which parents took the girls home.
As the school officials or teachers did not register any complaint, the police did not take any action.
"The city police are ready to undertake awareness classes for school students against the harmful effects to liquor and other drugs,” city police chief I.V. George told Mathrubhumi.
“There are reports of students including girls consuming alcohol and other drugs. If such incidents are taking place in a girl’s school, our women cell Circle Inspector can provide necessary assistance including counselling,” he said.
“We have directed the respective circle and sub inspectors to take part in the P.T.A meetings if necessary. If such incidents are noticed, they will investigate and submit a report. The school officials must inform police regarding such incidents,” he added.
K. Ahmed Rasheed, District Child Protection Officer (in charge) said that such an incident should not have taken place.
“Nobody officially reported this incident to us. We did not receive any complaints in this regard. We came to know of the incident only after inquiries following news reports. A detailed investigation will be held,” said Ahmed Rasheed.