Kerala family in NZ found unconscious after consuming wild boar meat
Hamilton: Three members of a Kerala family in New Zealand fell seriously ill allegedly after consuming wild boar meat.
According Facebook posts by friends of the family, Shibu Kochummen (35), his wife Subi Babu (32) and mother Alekutty Daniel (62) collapsed after eating the meat.
Their two children, who did not consume the meat, are unaffected.
Shibu and his family moved to New Zealand five years ago. The family hails from Kollam.
According to his friends, Shibu is a hunting enthusiast and had shot the wild boar which they cooked and ate.
The trio, when found unconscious in their house in Waikato by emergency services last Friday, was said to be in a ‘vegetative’ state.
The samples of the cooked meat have been sent for examination. They are being treated in Waikato Hospital in Hamilton for condition called 'botulism'.