Young trekker rescued from hills; Coast Guard's helicopter to airlift him

2 min read
Read later
Palakkad: After 46 hours of long effort, the rescue team successfully lifted Babu, the youth who got stuck in a crevice on the steep hills of Cherad in Malampuzha. A two-member team of the army lifted him from the crevice with a safety belt and other equipment. He will be immediately shifted to hospital.

Coast Guard’s helicopter will airlift him to the hospital. According to reports, he will be taken to Palakkad district hospital.

Sources close to the rescue team revealed that he is slightly weak because of not having food and water for nearly 46 hours. He only suffered a leg injury. His friend Gireesh informed that the doctors in the team administrated first aid to him. He walked over 400 metres with the army team.

He got stuck in the crevice of the steep hill which is 600 metres above sea level.

An army man who wore a safety belt lifted Babu from the crevice with the help of safety equipment. Later, the army team lifted both from the crevice. Babu got stuck in the crevice which was situated 200 ft deep from top of the hill. Hence, the army team slowly lifted Babu.

Before lifting him, the rescue team has given food and water to Babu. As he was starving for 45 hours, only a prescribed quantity of water was given. He had recently undergone surgery for appendicitis. Hence, the rescue team was very careful during the rescue operation.

Battling the darkness and cold weather, the team of army including mountaineers climbed to the hills for rescuing the 23-year-old youth.

Read More: Rescue mission in Cheradu hill was incomparable, says Minister KRajan

Babu who was trekking along Malampuzha got stuck on the hills after slipping and falling into a crevice on Monday afternoon. Though efforts were taken to rescue him by using a helicopter, the mission was failed. National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) members and Fire Force continued the rescue operation during night hours too.


It was around Monday afternoon, Babu and his two friends left to explore Koormbachi hills. Though his friends dropped the expedition midway, Babu continued to ascend the hills. According to reports, he got trapped in a crevice which is situated around half kilometres from the top of the hill. It is hard to spot him from the top or bottom of the hill. Babu phoned his family till 7.30 pm on Monday. But later, his phone became unreachable.

Add Comment
Related Topics

Get daily updates from

Disclaimer: Kindly avoid objectionable, derogatory, unlawful and lewd comments, while responding to reports. Such comments are punishable under cyber laws. Please keep away from personal attacks. The opinions expressed here are the personal opinions of readers and not that of Mathrubhumi.