Wild elephant found electrocuted at paddy field in Palakkad
Palakkad: A wild elephant was found electrocuted in a paddy field at Venoli here in the district on Tuesday morning. Wild elephant menace is regularly reported from the area.
Preliminary assumption is that the elephant entered the area on Monday night. While the elephant was trying to uproot a tree, it came in contact with an electric pole and was electrocuted. Forest department officials have reached the spot.
Local residents alleged that lapses by the Forest department resulted in wild elephants entering human inhabitant areas and agricultural lands in Venoli.
The residents alleged that the electric fencing in the area was not maintained properly and was broken in many spots. This resulted in the wild elephant reaching the paddy field, the residents said.