'Whom should we approach to know about our son?', asks father of man who went missing from ship

Arjun left home on March 5th after getting a job in a shipping company based in Mumbai. He travelled from Mumbai to Turkey on March 17 and joined for a job there.

Arjun's father Raveendran

Attingal: “It has been 44 days since our son went missing from the ship on which he was working. All these days, we have been waiting to hear something about him. We are helpless. Every time we get a call, we hope that it is from him. We have approached many to get information about our son and his whereabouts. We at least deserve to know if he is dead or alive. Whom should we approach next? I stay here on this verandah waiting for my son from dawn to dusk,” says the father of Arjun Raveendran (27), the youngster who went missing from a ship in Tunisia.

Arjun is the youngest son of Attingal natives Raveendran and Bhama. Arjun left home on March 5 after getting a job in a shipping company based in Mumbai. He travelled from Mumbai to Turkey on March 17 and joined. He used to phone home every two days after that.

His parents say that he was very enthusiastic in the beginning, but soon that gave way to a sort of desperation. When asked about it, he had admitted that his boss always shouted at him and used to torture him.

It was on April 20 that Arjun last phoned home. He had said that the ship was on the outer sea of the port in Tunisia and that it was waiting for permit to enter the port. He also informed that the range was weak and he would phone after getting to the port. Raveendran got a call on April 27 saying that his son had gone missing. He then got a call on April 28 saying that Arjun had escaped from the ship via sea with a life jacket. There was no further information about him after that.

Arjun’s father has submitted complaint to the Chief Minister, Minister of State for External Affairs of India V Muraleedharan, Ministry of Ports, Shipping and Waterways, Adoor Prakash MP, Shashi Tharoor MP, O S Ambika MLA, and Opposition leader V D Satheesan. O S Ambika MLA and Adoor Prakash MP visited his house and heard the details of the missing case.

There haven’t been any investigations or queries from other centres. A petition was filed in the High Court. The Embassy had phoned after a few days saying that a body was recovered from the Tunisian sea on May 13 and that they needed Arjun’s mother’s DNA to confirm if it was him.

Following this, Arjun’s mother’s DNA profile was sent on May 21. There has been no information since then. Arjun’s parents have not yet been informed about the test result. The company officials have also become unresponsive.

“What should we do next? Whom should we approach to know our son’s whereabouts?,” Raveendran asks with teary eyes.

Add Comment
Related Topics

Get daily updates from Mathrubhumi.com

Disclaimer: Kindly avoid objectionable, derogatory, unlawful and lewd comments, while responding to reports. Such comments are punishable under cyber laws. Please keep away from personal attacks. The opinions expressed here are the personal opinions of readers and not that of Mathrubhumi.