Suicide rates and deaths due to heart attacks rising in Kerala: NCRB report

2 min read
Read later

Representational Image | Photo: Getty Images

New Delhi: According to the National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB) report, deaths due to heart attacks are rising in the state. In 2021, 3,872 people passed away due to heart attacks. In 2020, this was 3,465. With this, Kerala is ranked second in the country for the highest number of deaths due to heart attacks.

The highest number of deaths has been reported in Maharashtra (10,489). Gujarat - 2,949, Karnataka - 1,754, Madhya Pradesh - 1,587, Tamil Nadu - 1,274, and Rajasthan - 1,214 are a few records. Arunachal Pradesh has the least number of deaths due to heart attacks.

Suicide rates also rising

The suicide rate has also gone up in Kerala. 9,549 people committed suicide in 2021. In 2020, this number was 8,500.

Maharashtra reported the highest number of suicides among all the states in the country, followed by Tamil Nadu and Madhya Pradesh, in 2021, a year that saw 1,64,033 such cases across India.

A total of 1,64,033 suicides were reported in India in 2021 -- a 7.2-per cent increase compared to 2020 (1,53,052). The rate of suicides has increased by 6.2 per cent.

"Majority of suicides were reported in Maharashtra (22,207), followed by 18,925 suicides in Tamil Nadu, 14,965 suicides in Madhya Pradesh, 13,500 suicides in West Bengal and 13,056 suicides in Karnataka, accounting for 13.5 per cent, 11.5 per cent, 9.1 per cent, 8.2 per cent and 8 per cent of total suicides respectively," the report said.

These five states together accounted for 50.4 per cent of the suicides reported in the country. The remaining 49.6 per cent cases were reported from the 23 other states and eight Union territories.

Delhi, the most-populous Union Territory, has reported the highest number of suicides (2,840) among the Union territories, followed by Puducherry (504).

Road accidents claim 1.73 lakh lives

As many as 1.73 lakh people lost their lives in around 4.22 lakh traffic accidents in the country in 2021 with Uttar Pradesh reporting the highest number of deaths in such mishaps at 24,711 deaths followed by Tamil Nadu which recorded 16,685 deaths.

According to NCRB report, the number of traffic accidents in the country increased from 3,68,828 in 2020 to 4,22,659 in 2021.

These traffic accidents comprise 4,03,116 road accidents, 17,993 railway accidents and 1,550 railway crossing accidents. They caused 1,55,622, 16,431 and 1,807 deaths respectively during 2021.

The maximum increase in number of traffic accident cases in states from 2020 to 2021 was reported in Tamil Nadu (from 46,443 to 57,090) followed by Madhya Pradesh (from 43,360 to 49,493), Uttar Pradesh (from 30,593 to 36,509), Maharashtra (from 24,908 to 30,086) and Kerala ( from 27,998 to 33,051).


Add Comment
Related Topics

Get daily updates from

Disclaimer: Kindly avoid objectionable, derogatory, unlawful and lewd comments, while responding to reports. Such comments are punishable under cyber laws. Please keep away from personal attacks. The opinions expressed here are the personal opinions of readers and not that of Mathrubhumi.

Vande Bharat

1 min

Kerala’s ‘orange’ Vande Bharat likely to have a change of colour

Sep 27, 2023

heavy rain

1 min

Isolated heavy rainfall likely in Kerala for next five days

Sep 28, 2023


2 min

Kanthalloor wins 'Best Tourism Village Gold' award

Sep 28, 2023