Shigellosis scare in Kozhikode: 2-year-old dies


Kozhikode: Shigellosis was diagnosed in Kozhikode after the Nipah virus attack in the state. Siyad (2), son of Harshad from Adivaram, died due to the infection. The child was admitted to the Kaithappoyil private hospital on July 18 for diarrhoea was later shifted to medical college. The hospital authorities confirmed that the child was suffering from Shigella infection. The health department has warned the district against the disease.

4 people were confirmed to have been affected by this disease this year. Two of them were from Thiruvananthapuram and two from Kozhikode. Shigellosis is a peculiar disease characterized by diarrhoea. The bacteria spreads the disease through contaminated food and water. The disease can be prevented through consumption of clean food and boiled water. The health department has instructed to clean the wells through chlorination.

Similar diseases have been reported in Kerala earlier. The health department said that cleanliness is the key to prevention.

Add Comment
Related Topics

Get daily updates from Mathrubhumi.com

Youtube
Telegram
Disclaimer: Kindly avoid objectionable, derogatory, unlawful and lewd comments, while responding to reports. Such comments are punishable under cyber laws. Please keep away from personal attacks. The opinions expressed here are the personal opinions of readers and not that of Mathrubhumi.