Thiruvananthapuram: Health Minister Veena George here on Saturday revealed that the presence of shigella bacteria was detected on the food samples collected from a shop in Kasaragod over a food poisoning case. She added that the results of the food safety test on the shawarma samples collected from a shop at Cheruvathur in Kasaragod confirmed the presence of the Shigella bacteria.
The food safety department had collected samples of chicken shawarma and pepper powder from an eatery in Kasaragod after a girl named Devanada who consumed shawarma from here died of food poisoning. Over 14 people were also hospitalised after consuming food from the same eatery.
The presence of pathogenic Salmonella and Shigella was both found in chicken shawarma. Meantime, Salmonella was detected in pepper powder. These samples are certified 'unsafe' under the Food Safety Act. The minister said that further steps will be taken on the matter.
Meantime, the officials conducted 349 raids in various eateries in the district to find violators. Further, 32 shops faced action after the officials found that these shops were functioning without license or registration.
The Health Department and Food Safety Department have jointly carried out raids in hotels and other eateries across the state as part of the measures against food poisoning.
The inspections revealed the pathetic condition of food served to the public in restaurants and other eateries including hostel mess and hospital canteens. Officials conducted surprise inspections in Ernakulam, Thiruvananthapuram, Idukki, Palakkad, and Kasaragod districts on Saturday.
The food safety department has decided to carry out inspections in the hotels after a girl died of food poisoning in Kasaragod.
The authorities have seized stale foods, including rotten meat and fish. Around 25 kg of rotten fish was seized from a canteen and a hostel mess of a private hospital at Nedumangad, here. A hotel was shut down in Thiruvananthapuram town for not functioning without a licence.
Meantime, stale food was seized in several hotels in Kochi. According to reports, the officials found that for more than one-month-old food was being served to the customers at a hotel in Maradu. Further, it came to attention that the hotels were functioning without following the norms of cleanliness.
Four hotels were shut down in Idukki for lacking a licence. 10 kg of rotten fish was seized from Cheruthonni.