Shawarma turns villain again; one dead, 14 hospitalised due to food poisoning in Kasaragod


Kasaragod: A 16-year-old girl died and 14 students were hospitalised due to food poisoning at Cheruvathur here on Sunday. The deceased is identified as Karivellur native Devananda.

Devananda

According to reports, the girl and others fell ill after consuming shawarma from a cool bar at Cheruvathur on Friday. They suffered severe fever, diarrhoea and vomiting after eating shawarma.

The health department has confirmed that those who consumed shawarma fell ill due to food poisoning. Following this, the authority took action to shut down the cool bar.

The 14 students are undergoing treatment at Kanhangad district hospital.

As per the initial reports, people who consumed shawarma from ‘Ideal cool bar at Cheruvathur suffered severe food poisoning. The majority of the patients under treatment are school students.

It is learnt that those who had eaten shawarma from this cool bar on Friday and Saturday complained of health issues. Following this, some children were rushed to the hospitals on Saturday night and Sunday morning.

Devananda who died of food poisoning had sought medical care at a community health centre in Cheruvathur on Sunday morning. As her condition worsened, she was shifted to the district hospital. She breathed her last while undergoing treatment there.

The hospital authority informed that the 14 people who are under treatment are stable.

Meanwhile, the food safety department officials visited the cool bar and collected the samples.

Add Comment
Related Topics

Get daily updates from Mathrubhumi.com

Youtube
Telegram
Disclaimer: Kindly avoid objectionable, derogatory, unlawful and lewd comments, while responding to reports. Such comments are punishable under cyber laws. Please keep away from personal attacks. The opinions expressed here are the personal opinions of readers and not that of Mathrubhumi.