Road safety: Vehicle inspection to take place from Aug 5-31
Thiruvananthapuram: As part of the Road Safety Action Plan, the motor vehicle department and police will conduct thorough vehicle inspection from August 5 to 31. The move is part of reducing accident and accident death rates.
The inspection has been categorised and scheduled for different dates. The dates of checking are as follows:
- Seat belt and helmet: August 5-7
- Illegal parking: August 8-10
- Over-speeding: August 11-13
- Driving under influence of alcohol and lane traffic: August 14-16
- Use of mobile phone while driving: August 17-19
- Violation of zebra crossing and signals: August 20-23
- Overload and no speed governor: August 24-27
- Cooling film, extra lights and music systems in contract carriages: August 28-31
Joint inspections will be carried out to find vehicles parked at places where 'No Parking' boards are set up. Action will be taken against the vehicles parked on both sides of the road where there is median opening.
Also strict action will be taken against drivers who do not give priority to pedestrians at zebra crossing. License of the drivers who are caught for over-speeding and driving under influence of alcohol will be suspended.
KSRTC and private buses that stop at roadsides instead of stopping at bus bays also will face action. The tree branches and hoardings on roadsides that divert attention of drivers will be removed. The PWD will take further action to repair damaged roads and drainages and fill potholes.