Ration outlets distribute raw rice instead of parboiled rice cause drop in demand

Aneesh Augustine

Representational image | Photo: Mathrubhumi

Kozhikode: The number of ration card holders purchasing monthly rations from PDS outlets dropped after authorities started to distribute raw rice instead of parboiled rice. Only 33 per cent of the beneficiaries bought ration till December 20.

Usually, 60 per cent of card holders purchase ration within this period each month, said ration dealer and Kerala Ration Employees Union (CITU) vice president TV Thamban.

Over 90 per cent of households bought ration in August and September, while the figures declined to nearly 80 per cent in October and November.

The BPL (Below Poverty Line) card holders began to receive only raw rice under Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Anna Yojana from November. The whole 5.63 crore kilogram rice received by Kerala under this scheme for December was raw rice. In addition to this, the normal ration also constitutes 70 per cent of raw rice while the remaining 30 per cent is parboiled rice. Accordingly, a household with yellow card comprising 5 members can buy only 6 kilogram parboiled rice out of the total 55 kilogram rice allocated monthly.

Add Comment
Related Topics

Get daily updates from Mathrubhumi.com

Disclaimer: Kindly avoid objectionable, derogatory, unlawful and lewd comments, while responding to reports. Such comments are punishable under cyber laws. Please keep away from personal attacks. The opinions expressed here are the personal opinions of readers and not that of Mathrubhumi.