Police report reveals shocking violations of building rules in SM Street
Kozhikode: A police report based on the frequent fire breakout reported in the SM Street(Mittayi Theruvu) in Kozhikode reveals the shocking violation of building rules.
The report states that in many shops, the wiring is done without covering. Hence, there are chances for a short circuit as well as fire accidents. Garbage, including cigarette butts, were seen piled up on fire exits and under main electric switches.
Even the main switches of some shops are not visible due to waste piled up. In many shops, a gas stove is used for cooking food. This practice is posing a direct threat to the safety of the street due to the lack of basic security arrangements during a fire accident.
According to the report submitted by City Special Branch Assistant Commissioner Umesh, there has been a serious breach of building rules and in some places, even the fire exits are converted into smaller shops. The report points out that such negligence can lead to a terrible disaster if left unaddressed.
The inspection was carried out in Moideenpally Road, SM Street, Court Road and Taj Road. The officials identified that two and three shops have been functioning under one license. Further, the fire extinguisher in many stores is out of date and even so the employees are not given enough instructions on how to use it. The report also revealed that a huge quantity of items is being stored in most of the shops irrespective of its storage capacity.
The 400-page report also suggests that there is a need for strict rules to be put in place to ensure the safety of shop employees and customers.