Thrissur: A 70-year-old man experienced a frightening incident when his mobile phone exploded in his pocket in Marottichal here. The incident occurred on Thursday at 10 am.
Elias was seated in a hotel, enjoying a cup of tea, when the unexpected incident took place. A sudden burst of flames caused his shirt to catch fire. The fire was immediately douses.
This is the third such incident in the state in less than a month, of a mobile phone exploding suddenly and it occurred while the man was having tea at a tea shop in Marottichal area here.
An officer of Ollur police station, under whose jurisdiction the incident occurred in the district, told PTI that the septuagenarian was unhurt.
The officer said that on receiving information regarding the incident he had called up the elderly man to find out what happened.
The man told police that he had bought the mobile for Rs 1,000 a year ago and that it was a feature phone. Till now, there were no problems with the device, the man told police according to the officer.
Last week, a similar incident happened in Kozhikode city where a man suffered burns when a mobile phone kept in his trouser pocket had exploded.
Prior to that, on April 24, an eight-year-old girl hailing from Thrissur died after a mobile phone she was using exploded.
With PTI inputs