Pankajakshi tried her best to prevent the disaster, but...
Paravur: Pankajakshi, an octogenarian who underwent angioplasty and bypass, was making attempts to prevent the lurking disaster. Unfortunately, she could only remain a spectator when the explosion at Puttingal temple on Sunday morning destroyed her house and also few other ones in the locality.
Her house was located near the outer wall of the temple.
This year, a complaint in her name was lodged with the authorities citing the threat posed by the competitive pyrotechnics show. However, nothing materialised and she lost the roof over her head.
The Kambapura (shed for storing explosives) is situated close to the house. Following the explosion, the massive concrete beam of the shed fell on the sidewall, destroying the house. The ceiling too come crashing down.
“The house has become unfit to stay,” said Pankajakshi’s son Prakash.
Prakash and his wife Anitha, who stay in London, used to visit their native place during the temple festival. Once the fireworks show starts, they will shift to the outhouse. This saved them from the accident this time.
Based on the complaint lodged with the collector on April 2, inquiries were held at various levels. This complaint was also considered for deny permission for the fireworks display.
Officials, including the Village Officer, recorded her statements. Every year, the house used to suffer damage during the pyrotechnics show. However, this time it turned massive.
The same situation prevails in other residences in the locality. The houses belonging to her neighbours K Shabu, Ashok Kumar, Sumathi, Subhashini Amma, Sudheesh and Krishnakumar have been destroyed in the explosion.