Opposition terms floods a man-made disaster, blames govt
Thiruvananthapuram: Opposition leader Ramesh Chennithala harshly criticised the state government over the flood havoc that hit Kerala. He alleged that if the flood in 1924 was a natural calamity, the flood that happened now was a man-made disaster.
The flood was the result of the passiveness of the government. The tragedy occurred as the dams were opened without warning. The greediness of KSEB and the difference of opinion among ministers affected the decision making regarding the dam opening.
Chennithala also alleged that the inability of various departments to take a foresightful decision caused the delay in opening the dam shutters.
Relevant points from the press meet of Opposition leader:
- The flood in Chalakudy could have been avoided if the two small dams in Chalakudy river had been opened earlier. But neither the dams were opened nor the water level was decreased.
- Tamil Nadu released the water in Upper Sholayar to be supplied to Kerala without any warning. If they had informed the same earlier, Chalakudy could have been saved from flood.
- Nine dams in Pamba river were opened. They have not much storage capacity. The situation could have been under control if they were opened step by step. But the dams were opened only after reaching maximum capacity.
- Chengannur was a place never hit by flood. The dam was opened without any warning when the people were asleep.
- Shutters of Malampuzha dam were raised further without any alert. The entire Palakkad town was submerged in water.
- Even the collector was not informed when shutters of Banasura Sagar dam were opened. The officials claim that they have informed him through WhatsApp.
- Kuttanadu is submerged in water for two months. Authorities did not take any action earlier to save them. Now, the authorities had to evacuate 90 percent of the people of Kuttanad from the region.
- The troubles in Kuttanad occurs because the mud wall in Thanneermukkom Bund has not been removed and spillway is not opened. Spillway was opened only on August 17.
- Even BBC has reported that the flood was a man-made disaster. The government is fully responsible for the tragedy.
- The heavy rain can cause disasters. But the impact of the disaster could have been reduced. It is the failure of the government and the people suffer the after effects of it.