Ockhi: Rs 20 lakh compensation to kin of deceased
Thiruvananthapuram: The Kerala government has announced a special package for the victims of Cyclone Ockhi. The cabinet meet today decided to grant Rs 20 lakh to the families of the persons died in the disaster.
The additional chief secretary of revenue department and additional chief secretary of fisheries department are assigned to review the assistance provided to the fishermen folk and put forward further suggestions.
The Chief Minister said in the press conference that they had not received any Cyclone warning on November 29. The Meteorological Department informed on Novemebr 30 that the low pressure will intensify into a depression, but there was no mention about a cyclone. When they warned about the cyclone at 12 in the noon, the media and others were informed by the National Disaster Response Force, said the chief minister.
Other important decisions of the cabinet meet
- Rs 20 lakh compensation to each family (including the Rs 10 lakh offered by the government earlier, Rs 5 lakh from the Fishermen Welfare Fund Board and Rs 5 lakh from fisheries department).
- Rs 5 lakh assistance to the families of the severely injured who are unable to work.
- A grant of Rs 60 to the adults and Rs 40 to the children among the fishermen folk for 7 days.
- Free ration supply for one month.
- Compensation for the fishing equipments lost in the disaster.
- Free education and skill training for the children of the fishermen died or missing in the disaster.
A committee will be formed including the additional chief secretaries of revenue and fisheries departments to provide assistance to the family of the missing fishermen who are not found in the search. The State Disaster Management Authority is assigned to help communicate and inform the fishermen about the weather through SMS. The authority will be set up centres in every district and an emergency response centre in Thiruvananthapuram.