Alappuzha: The mortal remains of Nida Fathima (10), the cycle polo player who allegedly succumbed to food poisoning in Nagpur, have been brought home.
The body reached Kochi airport by 7 in the morning on Saturday. Public homage is arranged at her school at 10 am. The burial is at 12.30 pm.
Nida, daughter of Ambalapuzha native Shihabudhin and Ansila, was a class 5 student at Neerkunnam SDV school. She passed away at a private hospital in Nagpur on Thursday. She was part of the 29-member team for the National Junior Cycle Polo Championship.
Meanwhile, the organisers of the Kerala team alleged medical negligence on the part of the hospital. They say the chances of food poisoning are less since all students ate the same food and only Nida witnessed a reaction. Trainer Jithin said the situation of Nida worsened after the hospital administered her an injection.
Meanwhile, Shihabudhin accused the organisers of not providing adequate facilities for the participants.
On Friday, sports minister V Abdurahiman visited Nida's house. He said the sports council has allotted Rs 5 lakh to bear the expenses of the treatment in Nagpur and transfer of the body to Kerala.
He also added that he had written to the union sports minister and chief minister and sports minister of Maharashtra seeking a detailed probe.