Thrissur: A moving KSRTC bus caught fire at Puzhakkal in Thrissur on Sunday. A huge mishap was averted as the locals intervened timely to put out the fire.
The passengers were immediately shifted from the bus on noticing the fire. Fire started near the driver's seat. The passengers were made to deboard as soon as smoke arose from the engine. Soon, the fire spread and it was put out with a fire extinguisher brought from a nearby petrol pump. Two units of Fire Force arrived at the spot.
The bus was carrying at least 30 passengers. One of the passengers spotted the fumes first and reported it to the staff. The KSRTC staff said that the fire might have spread due to a short circuit from the wiring at the bottom side of the bus.