Madhu's mother Malli, Special Public Prosecutor | Photo: Mathrubhumi News Screengrab
Palakkad: Special Public Prosecutor Rajesh M Menon said that there will be more challenges in the case related to the lynching of tribal youth Madhu in Attappady. He made the statement after the Special Court under SC/ST Act here annulled the bail granted to the 12 accused in the case. He also pointed out that witnesses may turn hostile if the accused continue to influence them.
"The action of letting the accused roam around freely for four years should be questioned. This is the biggest problem faced by the prosecution. We have been trying to address this issue from the beginning," he spoke while addressing the media.
"There is no point in asking why the witnesses are turning hostile when the trial in the case resumed after four years. Let the people decide who pushed things to the present situation," he said.
Madhu’s mother reacted that she is happy about the recent development in the case. She thanked all those who have helped her out so far and said that she expects that the case will move forward smoothly.
"The accused were hunting our family by constantly threatening us but we still went forward with the case. We have suffered a lot. We hope that such a situation doesn’t befall any other person. We are happy about the court's decision to cancel the bail of the accused," said Madhu’s sister Saraswathi.
The court pronounced the judgement after the prosecution claimed that the accused tried to influence the witnesses in the case.
The prosecution approached the court demanding to cancel the bail granted to 12 of the 16 accused in the case. The accused had obtained bail in the case in 2018. The court has restricted them from engaging in any activity to influence the witnesses in the case.
Madhu was allegedly beaten to death by a mob at Attappady on February 22, 2018. He was tied up and beaten by a mob, who caught him from a nearby forest, accusing him of serial thefts.