Land acquisition for NH: Govt to raise compensation
Thiruvananthapuram: The state government is planning to increase the compensation offered to people who have parted their land for National Highway. It is reported that the people will be given three times of the land price after acquiring land for the National Highway development in Kerala.
Sources reveal that the government will give compensation for land, buildings which have been demolished for the work and trees destructed for it.
Hence, government has directed special tahsildars, who are in-charge of land acquisition process, to fix the price of the acquired land as per the new decision. These conditions should be applied while acquiring land in the state.
The government has taken the decision to raise the compensation as per the Rehabilitation and Resettlement Act, 2013 (Land Acquisition Act) that was implemented to assure right to fair compensation and transparency in land acquisition.
For example, government should award Rs 1.14 crore as compensation for land worth Rs 40 lakh. This cost will be reduced if it is a barren land without buildings and trees.
Whereas new buildings in the land will increase the chances of higher compensation, special package will be executed for rehabilitation of street vendors and people who reside near National Highway. But a final decision is yet to be taken.
Five criteria for compensation
- Basic value of the land: It is the average of the higher cost given to purchase land in National Highway in last three years.
- Cost of land after multiplying the basic value with a multiple factor.
- PWD will fix the price of buildings in the acquired land according to its period. Social Forestry department will fix the cost of trees in the land.
- Relief fund: It is the amount fixed after multiplying multiple factor with the price of buildings and trees.
- 12 percent of interest of the land value will be given from the date of notification issued to acquire the land to date of acquisition.
The total amount received as relief fund and interest is considered as the compensation.