KSDMA issues safety guidelines in 7 districts coming under yellow alert
Thiruvananthapuram: The Kerala State Disaster Management Authority (KSDMA) has issued precautionary guidelines to the public as the Indian Metrological Department predicted heavy rain in the state from Sunday to Tuesday. The guidelines were issued to the public in the districts where IMD sounded yellow alert.
Warning heavy rain, yellow alert was issued in Palakkad, Malappuram, Kozhikode and Wayanad districts on Monday. At the same time, yellow alert has been sounded for five districts namely Ernakulam, Idukki, Thrissur, Malappuram and Wayanad on Tuesday.
According to IMD, thunderstorm accompanied with rain and gusty winds will lash Kerala as cyclone Fani is intensifying into severe cyclonic storm.
In this background KSDMA has issued a set of guidelines to the people in the districts where yellow alert has been sounded. The guidelines are as follows:
- Avoid night drives in Kottayam, Ernakulam, Idukki, Thrissur, Malappura, Pathanamthitta, Wayanad, Kozhikode, Palakkad and Kannur from 7 am to 7 pm
- Avoid visiting hilly areas and beach
- Never cross rivers or streams
- Don’t take selfies on bridges and river banks
- Make sure nobody especially children venture into river, streams and water logged areas during rain
- Don’t park vehicles or keep animals under trees.
- Keep an emergency kit which include torch, radio, 1 litre water, ORS packet, dry fruits, essential medicine, match box and money