Kidney transplant patient's death: TVM Medical College passes the buck; health minister endorses it

Health minister Veena George

Thiruvananthapuram: In a major development in the row over the death of a kidney transplant patient at Thiruvananthapuram Medical College, the administration is attempting damage control by blaming the ‘unidentified persons’ who entered the hospital building without authorisation. The same was reiterated by Health Minister Veena George.

Citing hospital authorities' complaint that some unidentified persons other than hospital staff had carried the box containing the organ from the ambulance to the medical college, the minister told that all such aspects will be considered in the probe ordered by the government.

These remarks preceded by her statement that two doctors were suspended in connection with the incident should not be considered as a punishment, but as an action taken to facilitate a comprehensive probe by keeping them away from duty. Some media reports over these statements come with the attribution that 'the health minister and the medical college authorities want the ambulance drivers 'who extended a helping hand 'to be blamed.

Meanwhile, an ambulance driver identified as Arun Dev told the media that he was one of those who had carried the box inside the hospital building and said it was only to avoid any delay in the procedure. "Not even the security staff at the hospital was aware of the arrival of the organ and no preparation was made there to receive it. So we carried it to the building. A doctor and a security staff were also with us while we were running with the box inside the hospital," he said.

He also revealed that he did not feel that he had committed any grave mistake as he only tried to save a valuable life.

A patient in need of a kidney transplant died at the medical college hospital on Monday, allegedly due to a four-hour delay in the surgical procedure, prompting the state government to order a probe into the incident. The kidney, which was harvested from a 34-year-old brain dead donor in Ernakulam, was brought to the state capital on Sunday evening within 2.5 hours, through a "Green Corridor System".

A video which was aired by television channels showed two unidentified persons receiving the organ from the ambulance as soon as it stopped and taking it inside the hospital. Opposition parties criticised the state government and the health department over the issue alleging that it was a clear case of mismanagement.
(With inputs from PTI)

Add Comment
Related Topics

Get daily updates from

Disclaimer: Kindly avoid objectionable, derogatory, unlawful and lewd comments, while responding to reports. Such comments are punishable under cyber laws. Please keep away from personal attacks. The opinions expressed here are the personal opinions of readers and not that of Mathrubhumi.