Rescue operation on to save trekker Babu; army reaches close to him

2 min read
Read later

Palakkad: The army team engaged in the rescue operation of Babu, a youth trapped in Cherad hills in Malampuzha, are only 200 metres away from him. Experienced mountaineers of the army are engaged in the rescue operation from Tuesday midnight. According to reports, Babu responded to the calls of armymen. But the rescue team failed to supply food or water. Babu is trapped in a crevice on the steep hill for over 40 hours.

It is learnt that a team from Coast Guard will reach the spot in a helicopter and help in rescue mission, informed the district collector.

The district authorities expressed hope that Babu could be rescued by 11 am. A helicopter of Coast Guard will be taken by 9 am. The army team is trying to take food and water to the youth. The army team hopes they will reach close to Babu soon. Meanwhile, the third team of NDRF and forest watchers will also join the rescue operation. A three-member team of doctors are also accompanying the rescue team.

Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan informed that the joint rescue operation is being carried out efficiently. It is for the first time, such a rescue operation is held in Kerala.


The army team including mountaineers reached Cherad hills to carry out the rescue operation on Tuesday night. Without bothering about the darkness, they ascended the hills. A team from Bengaluru and another team led by Lt.Col Hemanth Raj from Willingdon Island are continuing the rescue operation. According to reports, Hemanth Raj communicated with Babu.

Babu who was trekking along Malampuzha got stuck on the hills after slipping and falling into a crevice on Monday afternoon. Though efforts were taken to rescue him by using a helicopter, the mission was failed. National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) members and Fire Force continued the rescue operation during night hours too.

It was around Monday afternoon, Babu and his two friends left to explore Koormbachi hills. Though his friends dropped the expedition midway, Babu continued to ascend the hills. According to reports, he got trapped in a crevice which is situated around half kilometres from the top of the hill. It is hard to spot him from the top or bottom of the hill. Babu phoned his family till 7.30 pm on Monday. But later, his phone became unreachable.

Though the fire force started the rescue operation on Monday night, the darkness interrupted the mission. NDRF team ascended the hills for rescuing the youth around 12 pm on Tuesday. Even after reaching atop the hills, the NDRF team failed to rescue him.

Around 3 pm, Coast Guard’s helicopter was taken for rescue. But the mission was cancelled as there was no facility to land the helicopter at any spot close to Babu. The officials tried to take coconut water to the youth by using a drone. But the drone fell midway.

Add Comment
Related Topics

Get daily updates from

Disclaimer: Kindly avoid objectionable, derogatory, unlawful and lewd comments, while responding to reports. Such comments are punishable under cyber laws. Please keep away from personal attacks. The opinions expressed here are the personal opinions of readers and not that of Mathrubhumi.