Actress attack case: SC dismisses govt’s plea seeking extension of trial


Supreme Court of India I Photo: PTI

New Delhi: The Supreme Court of India has dismissed the Kerala government’s plea seeking extension of trial in actress attack case. Rejecting the government’s request, the apex court ruled that the trial court judge should file a request for extending the trial.

As the government faced a setback, it is confirmed that the Supreme Court will not grant permission to extend the trial.

A bench of Justices AM Khanwilkar and CT Ravikumar disposed of the state of Kerala petition and said that it leaves it to the discretion of the trial court to take an appropriate view in that regard. The petition was opposed by Malayalam actor Dileep.

Senior Advocate Mukul Rohatgi, appearing for Dileep, the accused in the case, said that the state is conducting a media trial of his client, who is a famous actor in Kerala.

The Court said that keeping the application pending will give a different indication.

In a counter-affidavit submitted before the SC, actor Dileep requested not to approve the government’s plea seeking more time for trial. Senior advocate Mukul Rohtagi appeared for Dileep before the Supreme Court.

Meanwhile, the government informed the apex court that director Balachandrakumar’s revelations related to the case should be investigated.

As per the previous order, the trial of the actress attack case should be completed by February 16.

The government requested the Supreme Court to extend the trial of the case for 6 months by considering the latest developments in the case after director Balachandrakumar levelled fresh allegations against Dileep.

Earlier, the government approached the High Court requesting to replace the trial court judge. But the High Court rejected this plea. Citing these matters, Dileep in his affidavit noted that the government requested to extend the trial for replacing the trial court judge.

The trial court judge should request the apex court for extending the trial. But so far, the judge didn’t raise such a demand, noted Dileep in his affidavit. He also questioned director Balachandrakumar’s revelations against him.

Dileep had been named as an accused in the actress assault case for alleged conspiracy. The case pertains that an actress who worked in Malayalam, Tamil, Telugu films was allegedly abducted and molested inside her car by a group of men who had forced their way into the vehicle on the night of February 17, 2017.

(with added inputs from ANI)

Add Comment
Related Topics

Get daily updates from Mathrubhumi.com

Youtube
Telegram
Disclaimer: Kindly avoid objectionable, derogatory, unlawful and lewd comments, while responding to reports. Such comments are punishable under cyber laws. Please keep away from personal attacks. The opinions expressed here are the personal opinions of readers and not that of Mathrubhumi.