Kerala Government Secretariat / Photo: G Shivaprasad
Thiruvananthapuram: Kerala State Commission for Economically Backward Classes among Forward Communities that studied the status of the weaker sections in the communities has recommended the government to constitute a special department and assign a minister for dealing with the matters concerned under one roof.
Notably, among others, the commission has recommended the state government to issue scholarships for such communities under the name of Mannathu Padmanabhan, VT Bhattathiripad and Mar Ivanios.
It also asked the state to integrate the Commission, ‘Samunnathi’ under Kerala State Welfare Corporation for Forward Communities Limited with the new ministry.
The other main recommendations in the report are:
- Give preference to Economically Weaker Sections in the forward communities in the Life Mission project
- Give age relaxation in PSC, devaswom, cooperative sector recruitment process
- Push the Union government for constituting a similar commission at the national level
- Raise ‘Samunnathi’ financial aid to Rs 100 crore
- Implement population ratio based reservation for government service
- Assist in the construction of shelter homes for bedridden individuals and the unaided
- Maintain reservation limit by considering land ownership or annual income of the family (upper limit: Rs 4 lakh)