Today is International Women’s Day. Kerala has highest number of female voters but only 8 women were elected as ministers during the 64-year-long history of the Kerala legislative assembly. 201 men were elected as ministers during the said period. Unfortunately, no woman was elected as Chief Minister of Kerala. Whereas, 16 women were elected as Chief Ministers in 13 states.
Will Kerala celebrate International Women’s Day with a woman Chief Minister?
Take a look on women who were elected ministers in Kerala
- KR Gouri Amma- First woman minister in the first Kerala government formed in 1957. Minister for Revenue, Excise. She served as minister in 1967, 1980, 1987, 2001, 2004
- M Kamalam- Minister for Cooperation (K Karunakaran ministry) during 1982-87
- MT Padma- Minister in K Karunakaran cabinet during 1991-96 and also in AK Antony ministry.
- Susheela Gopalan – Industries Minister in EK Nayanar ministry during 1996-2001
- PK Sreemathy- Health minister in VS Achuthanandan ministry in 2006-2011
- PK Jayalakshmi- Minister for welfare of backward communities in Oommen Chandy government (2011-16)
- KK Shailaja – Health minister in Pinarayi government during 2016-2021
- J Mercykutty Amma –Minister for Fisheries in Pinarayi Vijayan ministry