IMD forecasts heavy rain with lightning strikes in Kerala; yellow alert in 5 districts
Thiruvananthapuram: India Meteorological Department (IMD) has predicted heavy rainfall in the state, along with lightning strikes, from November 18 to 20.
IMD has issued yellow alerts in Thiruvananthapuram, Alappuzha, Ernakulam, Thrissur and Kozhikode districts on November 18 and Thiruvananthapuram, Ernakulam and Kozhikode districts on November 19.
The possibility of lightning strikes is higher between 2 pm and 10 pm. Mountainous regions are at a greater risk.
These lightning strikes are dangerous as they will create damage to human lives and to property. Kerala State Disaster Management Authority (KSDMA) has declared lightning as a state specific disaster.
Hence, the public should take the following precautions as soon as they see the dark clouds.
- Get inside a safe building as soon the early signs of lightning are spotted.
- Do not go out or into the rooftop to collect clothes when there is lightning.
- Disconnect domestic electronic devices.
- Close all the doors and windows
- Do not touch any metal substance. Stay away from electronic devices.
- Avoid using telephones.
- Avoid taking showers when there is lightning outside.
- It is dangerous to sit on the terrace and on top of trees during lightning.
- If you are outside, avoid standing under trees.
- Do not step into a water body when there is lightning.
- Do not fly kites.
- If you are in open space, sit down with your head between your knees and with your feet close to each other.
- Lightning shields can be used to protect buildings and surge protectors can be used to protect electronic devices.
If a person is struck with lightning, he/ she should be given first aid immediately. It has to be noted that the first 30 seconds are crucial in saving someone’s life after a lightning strike.
Children should not be allowed to play in open areas and in terraces if the atmosphere is cloudy between 2 pm and 10 pm.