Helmets should offer protection, adhere to BIS standards; warns MVD
Despite the strict orders from the Motor Vehicle Department (MVD) that both the rider and pillion on two wheelers must wear helmets, a lot of people are still not taking the law seriously. The Motor Vehicle Department has issued a warning to such people.
The department stated it is not enough that the passengers are wearing helmets, but the helmet should adhere to the guidelines of the Bureau of Indian Standards.
In a Facebook post, the MVD said that the fact that helmets save passengers from danger in case of an accident has been repeated numerous times.
It also stated that as per motor vehicle rules;
- All passengers above four years of age must wear a helmet while on a motorbike.
- The helmet should adhere to the standards stipulated by the Bureau of Indian Standards.
- Also the material of the helmet should provide protection to the passenger in case of an accident.
- The size and shape of the helmet should be ideal for protecting the head.
- The helmet should be kept firm in the head using a chin strap.