Thiruvananthapuram: The Indian Meteorological Department (IMD) has informed that rain accompanied by lightning is likely to continue in various places in the state for the next five days.
A yellow alert has been issued in Pathanamthitta, Alappuzha and Idukki on May 22, in Alappuzha and Malappuram on May 24, in Malappuram and Wayanad on May 25 and Kozhikode and Wayanad on May 26.
Upto 64.5-115.5 mm heavy rain is predicted in isolated areas within the next 24 hours. Heavy rain, lightning and gusty wind is predicted in various places in the state from May 22 to 26.
The Kerala State Disaster Management Authority (KSDMA) has issued safety guidelines in view of lightning and rain. Lightning is likely to occur from 2 pm to 10 pm as part of rainfall. This type of lightning causes damage to human life and other properties.
The KSDMA has declared this lightning as a state-specific disaster and cautioned the public to stay alert as soon as the rain clouds are visible in the sky. Also they should not fail to take precautions only because lightning is not visible.
Safety measures to be taken during lightning:
- Children should avoid playing in open spaces and playgrounds from 2 pm to 10 pm if the sky is cloudy.
- Get inside a safe building as soon as lightning starts.
- Do not try to take clothes from the clothesline in open spaces during lightning.
- Disconnect power plugs of household equipment.
- Close windows and doors.
- Do not touch metallic items and electric equipment.
- Do not use the telephone.
- Avoid taking baths during lightning.
- Do not stand under trees.
- Do not step into water bodies.
- Avoid flying kites.
- Do not let pet animals go outside during lightning.