Kozhikode: In the incident of an estate worker dying and two others being critically injured after consuming liquor in Kodenchery here, the doctors have found traces of Furedan (Carbofuran), a pesticide, in the bodies of the injured duo on Saturday.
Officials assume that the pesticide caused the death of Kolamban. Even though there were traces of alcohol in the bodies of the two injured estate workers Narayanan and Gopalan, it was not spurious liquor.
The officials are trying to find out why there were traces of furedan in the bodies of Narayanan and Gopalan.
Earlier, the joint excise commissioner had clarified that there were no signs of Kolamban having consumed spurious liquor.
“If Kolamban, the deceased had consumed spurious liquor, Methanol present in it would have caused him to lose his sight. Such signs were not seen in Kolamban during primary investigation,” joint excise commissioner said.
On Friday night, Kolamban (65) of Chemberi colony who works at the Koyappathodi estate died after consuming liquor. Two others – Narayanan and Gopalan, who consumed liquor along with Kolamban, were admitted to the Kozhikode medical college hospital in critical condition. The trio were found lying exhausted on three different spots.
Narayanan and Gopalan who were brought to the ward earlier, were taken back to the intensive care unit.