Health Minister Veena George
Thiruvananthapuram: Health Minister Veena George on Monday ordered a probe into the food poisoning incident in Kasaragod. One girl died and 14 hospitalised after consuming shawarma from a shop at Cheruvathur in Kasaragod on Sunday.
Expressing concern over the incident, the minister directed the food safety commissioner to carry out an investigation and submit a report.
The minister also asked Kasaragod district medical officer to make necessary arrangements to ensure expert medical care to the patients under treatment.The minister asserted that strict action will be taken against the shop based on the investigation.
Devananda, a resident of Karivallor near here, died at the Kanhangad district hospital, while undergoing treatment, police said.
A case has been registered against the shop, which has been sealed following investigations.
Fourteen school students were admitted to the district hospital after they fell sick, but none of them are said to be in a serious condition.
"We are expecting more cases and have asked doctors and staff from other nearby medical institutions to be present at the Cheruvathur PHC and Neeleswaram Taluk hospitals. We plan to treat people with mild issues there and those with serious conditions will be shifted to the district hospital," District Medical Officer A V Ramdas told the media.
Meanwhile, Minister M V Govindan visited the students undergoing treatment at the hospital and said the state government will ensure that quality food is served in hotels across the state.
"The government will conduct inspections across the state to ensure that the food served at restaurants is of good quality," the minister said.
According to sources, the juice shop was situated near a Tuition centre.
(With inputs from PTI)