Alappuzha: In an alarming incident, a fresh fire has been reported at another warehouse of the Kerala Medical Services Corporation. This time it was at Medical College Hospital here in Vandanam. The blaze erupted in a building adjacent to the main warehouse where medicines are stored, unleashing smoke and flames in the early hours of Saturday morning.
Prompt response from the fire brigade and local residents brought the fire under control within an hour.
This marks the third fire incident to hit Medical Service Corporation buildings within ten days. Previous incidents occurred in Uliyakovil in Kollam (May 18), and Thumba Kinfra Park, Thiruvananthapuram (May 23). Tragically, a firefighter died during the rescue operation in Thiruvananthapuram.
The corporation explained that bleaching powder was the cause of fires in Kollam and Thiruvananthapuram. Eyewitnesses reported the presence of expired medicines among the burned items. Preliminary assessments indicate a similar situation in Alappuzha. Furthermore, opposition has raised concerns, alleging that the fire conveniently coincided with an ongoing investigation by the Lok Ayukta into an alleged scam involving drug transactions during the Covid-19 period.