Farmer who complained about broken power line 3 months ago electrocuted from same line
Vaikom: In a tragic incident, a dairy farmer had who complained of a broken power line 3 months ago, was electrocuted to death from the same line when he went to collect fodder grass for his cattle. The deceased is identified as Udayanapuram native K V Raju (48).
Raju went to cut grass from Karippayi fields near his house on Tuesday by 9 in the morning. As he did not return for a long time, his sons started searching for him. On seeing Raju lying in the fields, his son tried to hold him, but got electric shock.
Hearing the noise, locals gathered around and turned off the fuse. Though Raju was rushed to taluk hospital, he could not be saved. He is survived by wife Mini and sons Rahul Raj and Rohith Raj.
Raju and other local residents had filed a complaint to the KSEB 3 months ago about the broken power line which was covered by creepers. However, no action was taken to repair the same.
The electric post and wires are in a damaged state and the transformer also submerges in water during rain havocs. Locals said that the irresponsible behaviour of KSEB staff resulted in the mishap.
KSEB executive engineer said that a probe will be held into the incident. He added that there was no complaint filed regarding the broken power line, but the locals only requested to relocate the transformer which was about to submerge in the water.
Power lines were set up through the road in the area and the houses were given connection from these lines. However, the line through the fields were not removed. The power line fell near the path leading to Raju's house. As the line was covered with creepers, it was not visible.