Kuttiyadi mishap: death toll rises to 4

The search operations, which were stopped owing to heavy rains, resumed on Monday afternoon.

Kozhikode: The rescue team on Monday recovered body of one more youth, who went missing in Kadanthara river at Kuttiyadi, taking the death toll to four.

The body has been identified to be that of Aswanth (21), son of Kattodi Chandran.

Two more persons _ Kuttikunnummal Vipindas (21) and Parayulla Parambath Vishnu (20) _ are still missing.

The search operations, which were stopped owing to heavy rains, resumed on Tuesday afternoon.

Six youth, who ventured into Kadanthara river in Kuttiyadi for bathing, went missing on Sunday evening. All of them belong to Kothod in Maruthomkara.

Other deceased are Parakkal Rajeesh (22), Shine Sasi (18) and Akshay Raj (22).

A total of nine persons, who reached the spot to spend leisure time, were washed away in flash floods, triggered by a landslide in the forest and possibly a cloudburst.

However, three of them _ Vineesh (24), Jishnu (23) and Amal Krishna (23) managed to escape. Most of them are construction workers.

A team of NDRF personnel from Thrissur have also joined the search operations. The police team headed by Kozhikode Rural SP N Vijayakumar is stationed at the spot.

The mishap happened at Pashukkadavu Centre mukku near Poozhithode Mini Hydroelectric Power Project. When they ventured into the river for bathing, the water level was very low. Suddenly, the water level rose and they were washed away. One among them was standing on the river bank at the time of the incident and two people managed to escape by holding on to the tree branches.

The rescue team is gearing up to empty the spillway tank of the power project to see if bodies of the missing persons are trapped inside the tank. The authorities have warned against venturing into the river since there is possibility of further rise in water level as the dam’s shutter will be opened to facilitate search operations.

State Ministers T P Ramakrishnan and A K Saseendran visited the area to monitor rescue efforts.

The hilly terrain is giving a tough time for those engaged in the exercise. The water current is bringing down boulders too.

Disaster struck 3 days before Rajeesh’s return to Gulf

Rajeesh, whose body was found 1 km away from the accident spot by around 10.45 pm on Sunday, was about to go back to his work place in the Gulf three days later. He reached home one month back. He is survived by his father, mother and brother.

Add Comment
Related Topics

Get daily updates from Mathrubhumi.com

Disclaimer: Kindly avoid objectionable, derogatory, unlawful and lewd comments, while responding to reports. Such comments are punishable under cyber laws. Please keep away from personal attacks. The opinions expressed here are the personal opinions of readers and not that of Mathrubhumi.